There is a very niche alternative form of photography referred to as ICM (Intentional Camera Movement) photography.
ICM has become one of my favorite creative expressions over the years as I do them more.
This blurring technique has even reached into my gallery exhibitions and festivals as I’ve ordered some wrapped canvas prints of the abstractions.
The technique is achieved by simply moving the camera around as the camera takes the exposure. A shutter speed of a second or two is just enough to satisfy the result.
A very very small aperture helps everything (nothing?) in focus, and the ISO is as easy as setting to ‘Auto.’
I would highly suggest that any outdoor photographer gives this technique a try, you may just become obsessed with them like I have!
The ‘All Outdoors Photography Podcast‘ is a show where we discuss stories from out in the field, techniques and gear with two outdoor photographers and various guests.
Available in video form on YouTube and audio on Spotify, Google Podcasts and all your other favorite podcast apps. Follow us on Instagram as well for more interaction and updates!
In Search of Nature with Joshua Wiley – All Outdoors Photography Podcast
- In Search of Nature with Joshua Wiley
- Biggest Week 2022 Retrospective: Part 2
- Biggest Week 2022 Retrospective: Part 1
- New Perspectives with Spencer Wood
- Biggest Week in American Birding with Gary Farber & Noah Buchanan
- Always Learning with Suzette Barstow
- The Bigger Picture with Tony Baldasaro
- Chasing Moments with Ian Plant
- Preserving Memories with Tim Grey
- Henry’s Tropical Adventure